Hi everybody. Let’s start a conversation about the reading list for the Honors exam. Post titles and authors for three texts you would like to see on the list as a comment to this post. I’ll collate all the suggestions, and we will work together to come up with a list of ten texts.
You should consider the following as you make your suggestions:
- The list should represent a variety of texts in terms of genre, historical context, length, authors’ identities, and cultural / national contexts.
- The list should include texts that work well for essays on genre, theory, and historical context.
- One option is to suggest a set of short texts by a single writer–for example, three or four short stories or poems.
- You should feel free to suggest texts on our syllabus and texts that are not.
- It’s a good idea to suggest texts that inspire or excite you.
Just a reminder: The Honors Committee will supply the other half of the list. The committee will make decisions about that list after we’ve finalized your list.
Austen, Pride and Prejudice (x2)
Bechdel, Fun Home
Brontë, Wuthering Heights
Beagle, The Last Unicorn
Bechdel, Fun Home
Beckett, Waiting for Godot
Brand, In Another Place, Not Here
Brooks, “Negro Hero”
Capote, In Cold Blood
Dick, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Dickinson, “I Felt a Funeral in My Brain” (x2)
Dickinson, “The Brain Is Wider than the Sky”
Eliot, “The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock”
Ellison, Invisible Man (x4)
Gilman, “The Yellow Wallpaper” (x2)
Grandin, The Way I See It: A Personal Look at Autism and Asperger’s
Frost, “The Road Not Taken”
Greenidge, We Love You, Charlie Freeman (x3)
Hamid, The Reluctant Fundamentalist
Huxley, Brave New World
Juster, The Phantom Tollbooth
King, Mile 81
Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
Melville, Benito Cereno
Norman, Night, Mother
O’Hara, “A Step Away from Them”
O’Neill, A Long Day’s Journey into Night
Palahniuk, Fight Club
Poe, “The Tell Tale Heart”
Poe, “A Dream Within a Dream”
Roy, The God of Small Things
Saadawi, Women at Point Zero
Salinger, Nine Stories
Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night’s Dream (x2)
Shakespeare, The Tempest
Shanley, Doubt: A Parable
Schmid, The Basket of Flowers
Stevenson, The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
Stassburg, Tristan and Isolde
Twain, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse Five
Wells, A Time Machine
Wharton, The House of Mirth
Whitman, “Out of the Cradle Endlessly Rocking”
Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray (x2)
Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest